Wow! As the first day of summer set in for residents in the Pacific and Mountain time zones, those who live in the Central and Eastern time zones had to wait for the Sun! We might have had to wait for the Sun to reach its farthest point north of the equator, but the Heat was on! I’m referring to the Miami Heat. Despite a close game early on, the team scorched the San Antonio Spurs! The Heat victory over the Spurs in the 2013 NBA Finals was amazing!
I was extremely impressed by LeBron James and his ability to lead his team! While scoring 37 points, LeBron grabbed 12 rebounds and added four assists. Three of his teammates combined to score 55 points, but neither Chris Bosh nor Ray Allen scored. Some people might not want to crown him, “King,” but he reigned supreme this season! By winning back-to-back Finals MVP and regular-season MVP awards, he also joined the ranks of Michael Jordan and Bill Russell.
I believe that his success on the court this season will continue to translate into success off the court. His signature sneakers already outsell (6-to-1) his competitors’ sneakers, and they earned Nike $300 million in U.S. retail sales last year-according to SportsOneSource. He also leads the NBA in endorsement deals with a reported $40 million. I am so inspired by LeBron, and I celebrate his ability to overcome numerous challenges to achieve his dreams!
Everyone can’t be LeBron James, but everyone can be a winner! Your success depends on what your goal is and what motivates you. Intrinsic motivation is critical, but inspiration can be extrinsic. I am inspired by reading about the accomplishments of others. I don’t need it, but it encourages me to overcome my obstacles. I accept that I will never be a basketball champion, but I am a winner! Even when it looked and felt like I lost, I still won! As a result, I want to keep winning in everything!
Here are some ways that you, too, can be a winner:
- Be decisive. Know what you want and how you plan to accomplish it.
- Be determined. Don’t let anyone or anything get you off track.
- Be loyal. Faith, family, and friends keep you grounded.
- Be flexible. When things don’t work according to your plans, make adjustments.
- Be tolerant. Don’t discount the opinions of people who offer different perspectives.
- Be grateful. When you show appreciation, people won’t mind helping you.
- Be patient. Anything worth having takes time, and you will cherish it when you get it!
Do you consider yourself a winner? Please comment.